It has come to my attention that a lot of my friends like to bypass breakfast and make a beeline for the coffee in the morning.
This got me thinking about how I was taught from such a young age the importance of eating breakfast and how I have managed to keep it up over my adult years. During my adolescence, I admit to slacking off as I would prefer to sleep in than to eat a healthy, nutritious bowl of Weet-bix.
However, as I have grown older, I wake up excited about my breakfast. If it wasn’t for my family, work, or study, I would still wake up in the morning purely for breakfast. Today, I thought I’d share my love of morning meals with a few go-to recipes!
Sharon’s Chia Pudding
Sharon is an old friend who used to bring me little jars of chia with fresh berries and yoghurt. It was the best! Who doesn’t like pudding for breakfast? For the person on the run every morning, rushing to get out the door, this is a great one to make the night before and throw in the bag to eat at work. You’re welcome.
- 3 tbs chia seeds
- 1 cup milk (or milk alternative)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Chopped fruit & yoghurt of your choice. I like berries and honey Greek yoghurt.
- Place chia seeds, milk, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a bowl & stir together.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Serve with fresh fruit and yoghurt. Last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Eggs and Avo on Ciabatta with Cholula Sauce
Just a classic in our house. We always have eggs and avocado in the fridge, and we love a little spice with our eggs! Simple, tasty, and effective. If you feel extra special, why not fry a bit of bacon up? Bacon makes every dish taste better. Even my vegetarian friends agree.
- 1 – 2 Eggs
- ¼ - ½ Avocado
- Slice of Ciabatta (or any bread)
- OPTIONAL: Cholula Sauce (this stuff is magic: the flavour of spiciness, but it isn’t hot!)
- Pop the bread in the toaster.
- Cut your avocado into the desired amount you would like to eat
- Smash your avocado onto your toast.
- Fry, poach, scramble your egg and place it on top of your avocado toast.
- Season with pepper and salt.
- Drizzle a little Cholula sauce over the top.
Call the girls over – it’s brunch time! This recipe is so easy, it’s ridiculous. They are so simple to put together because you don’t have to make the Blinis! Store bought from the supermarket – normally located in the ‘smoked salmon’ fridge. These savoury pancakes make the best brunch nibbles and pair extremely well with a mimosa or two.
- Blinis (store bought)
- Crème fresh or cream cheese
- Smoked salmon
- Little lemon wedge
- Lightly toast the blinis in the oven.
- Once they have cooled, top with crème fresh, smoked salmon, dill and a little lemon wedge or zest.
You can also make sweet blinis with Nutella and strawberries OR stick with the savoury and try avocado, bacon & balsamic glaze, or cream cheese and cucumber… I have yet to find one I don’t like.
The Classic Aussie Fry Up!
Out of respect to Australian culture, I had to include the classic Aussie fry up. Traditionally cooked on the BBQ with sunny side up eggs, smokey bacon, crispy sausages, sautéed mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and if we’re feeling extra special – whack in an oven baked hash brown for a good time.
- OPTIONAL: Hash Browns
I hope you get to enjoy my breakfast recipes as much as I do! Like any recipe, these can be tweaked for any dietary requirements & ingredients can be removed or replaced to cater for your needs. Also remember; whoever cooks, the other person has to clean!
Happy Cooking! If you give one of these a try, share a pic with us on Instagram, we'd love to see it!